Sunday, December 13, 2009

Daa Bin Lou aka Chinese Hot Pot

more a method than anything else, can also be considered the Chinese version of fondue?
Bernice & I kind of decided to do this last minute while I was showing her the wonders of our local Assi market.  To be honest, I had never done this on my own.  I only remember having this @ Aunt Jenny's house in UT, a long time ago . . . although Bernice claims that Mom did it @ home too.  It was a really nice way to celebrate the last night of Bernice's visit on Saturday, December 5th.

This is the only pic Jon got of the sauces.
Bernice used her mad skills to mix us some unique ones.
You can also see the mussels that we used to make broth.

We used our rice cooker to keep everything warm.

Our beef, fish, & shrimp balls.
We used a mung bean noodle that was friendly to Jon's allergies.

This was a Chinese veggie that Dad recommended we use.
But I can't recall the name of it!  ;P
You can also see the tofu puffs & the bean sprouts that we used.
Jon & the kids seemed to like it--this was their first time.  I think we will try to put this into regular rotation.  It really is perfect for those cold winter nights.  Plus it really isn't all that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  • Baked Bean Medley - Received this recipe from Don's mom this past year. She won first place at a ward chili cook-off using this recipe many years ago when Don was growing up....
    8 years ago